MVC 3 rewrite

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I see you are doing an MVC rewrite. 

I'm one of the organizers for the south west ohio give camp, and I'm getting ready to re-do the website (http://southwestohiogivecamp.org/).  I would be willing to work our features back into the code base.

I was planning an MVC 3 rewrite, and include some functionailty our team has requested...which I can see you have also planned as well.

Top priority for our team are tools to manage the volunteers, their skillsets, and mapping them to charities. 

I'm also planning on moving much of the data to SQL Compact edition, and implementing Authentication/Authorization providers through SQLCE.

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 9:55 PM

I would love to have your assistance.  I am currently reviewing some development that was done for the project at this years Dallas GiveCamp and once I get that reviewed and pulled into the current branch I want to start getting everyone together to move forward with the next release.

We do seem to have simiar vision for what needs to be worked on.  I love the idea of the data living with the site.

I am going to try to get to through the code review this weekend.

Thanks for your interest.

Jay Smith

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:15 AM

I apologize, as I have got wrapped up and forgot to follow up on this.  I have our MVC3 EF Code First Site in production.  You can grab our real-time code here: https://github.com/Estormann/SWOG-MVC3-WebSite

I haven't written tests, and I haven't abstracted any of the give-camp specific details into settings like I wanted to do to get it worked back into this project.  But it's up and running and were currently running a give camp with it.

The part I like is it's all based on the compact framework, and to reset the site I just delete the .sdf files and it rebuilds and starts fresh...except for the front page text.  My next feature is to make the front page easier to update.  I don't like publishing website updates just to update content.  But I don't want to migrate to a CMS system.

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Awesome I will take a look at it.  I am also moving this project to github and looking at merging it with the RoundTable: EventServer project down the road.  I would love to talk with you about joining either or both efforts.

Let me know if you are interested.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Hi,

I'm just starting and want to launch a site for CodeCamp Australia. I'm not sure which branch/version is better to stat with. I see on Main the old MVC 1 app from version 1.2, then I see two branches for MVC 2 and MVC3. Did you make any progress with the github one?

BTW, at thsi stage I'm just looking for a quick starting point, but obviously when I start using it would be ideal to contribute back to the project.

Thanks for the help

Miguel

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Miguel,

Version 1.2 listed in the download section is the offical release that I would recommend you use currently.  I am working on a MVC3 version of the site that has more CMS type funtionality.  Code for that is being hosted on github at https://github.com/GiveCamp/GiveCampStarterSite.  This will be the offical MVC3 release of the GiveCamp Starter Site.

I am able to put in about 4-6 hours a week on this project so movement is slow since I am the primary developer.  Many othes have forked the code and added to it, unfortunately they have not felt compelled to share their efforts for making this project successfull for eveyone who wants to run a GiveCamp.

I would love to see a community build around this project to continue to push it forward to make it a really easy to setup and use application.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Hi Jay, 

Thanks for the info. I understand it's hard to push projects on your own spare time. Honestly I just need something to get up and running so I can focus in other activities related to the GiveCamp, so I'm thinking 1.2 will be my best option. Anyway, I would like to try the MVC3 version and maybe start using it and contributing depending on what stage it's, I'm thinking I'll quickly hit a roadblock with 1.2 and start hacking new features on it regardles and your version might be a better foundation to keep building on top of and to contribute back. 

Regards, 

Miguel